Saturday, July 24, 2010

Some musings on friendship

I don't have much to say, but what I do have I'll scribble down right here. The topic on the forefront of my mind is friendship, namely because of the beautifully quirky bunch of friends who have recently been given to me through the wonderful world of working at a theatre.

Three and a half weeks ago, I found myself sitting in a theatre with a group of people who I did not know. The adults all knew each other, so I was out of that group, and there were three people around my age who didn't seem like they wanted to talk, so I did not talk to them either.
Three and a half weeks ago, the theatre would be silent until work began since no one talked.
Today, though, I can walk into the theatre already laughing from a conversation with one of them. I can be the crazy person I am around them without feeling self-conscious. I even consider one of the guys one of my good friends.

The fact that so much can change in less than a month baffles me. Take, for example, my new friend Walt*. When I first met him three or so weeks ago, I took him as arrogant; now, though, he's one of my favorite people, and we're so similar it's strange. We used to not talk at all; at some point, though, Walt and I did start talking, and now we tease each other like siblings and can hold really good conversations. I don't know what the turning point was, but I'm glad it happened. I've found an invaluable friendship.

Even the adults seem to like having us around ("us" being myself, Walt, the 20-year-old Sarah*, and the 22-year-old Richard*), and treat us like their younger siblings/cousins/nieces/nephews. The other day, I asked Daniel*, the guy I technically work under, if I am a bother. He laughed and said, "No, not in the least bit. You could do anything and still leave a warm fuzzy feeling in me. If anyone else did what you did, it would probably be annoying. But you are completely fine."
Honestly, that answer both worried me and made me really happy. I guess that's what makes someone your friend, though, right? People you care about and love being around can do things that would be so bothersome if other people did them, but since it's that certain friend you're alright with it. (This explanation excludes the fact that everyone says I remind them of a 5 year old because I'm so easily amused. Also, apparently I'm just the most adorable person ever. Whoopdiedoo.)

Looking at these quickly formed friendships makes me think about all the people I've known for months and years, yet still I do not have friendships with them nor do I know them. It's funny the way you can be drawn to some but not others.

What are your opinions on friendship?

peace
-eleanor

*Names have been changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment