Saturday, March 19, 2011

Texas, My (gun-slinging, weapon-concealing) Texas

Dear Governor and Congress,

Thank you so much for helping me with my college decision. I read in the news that the bill to allow concealed weapons on college campuses passed favorably onto the House floor. If the bill does eventually become law, I will more than likely not be attending a university in this gigantic, oddly-shaped state.

Why do we need a law to allow concealed weapons on a college campus? Do we not already have enough problems? Quite frankly, the thought of hidden weapons in who-knows-whose pocket or pant leg or shirt sleeve frightens me. It only takes one argument taking place at the wrong time to result in foolish (and fatal) gun fire. And what if there is a glitch and the gun goes off by itself?

I'm also puzzled as to why you are legalizing the concealment of the weapon. Would it not be more effective to legalize the weapon in plain view? If I were wanting to pick a fight, I would be much less likely to do so if I saw that a person was toting a pistol on their belt. It's more intimidating that way. Not to mention easier access. If someone were to cause a dangerous situation in which one who supports this bill would say is a prime example of needing a gun, it would probably take too long for a) the reaction time to kick in, b) the weapon to be un-concealed, and c) the defender to use said weapon.

Basically, there are more cons to this bill than pros.

Typical.

But it's Texas! And we're better than everyone! And we were once a country which makes us, like, tooootally awesome! Right? Yeeeuhhh.

(gag)

Again-- thank you, Governor and Congress, for helping me narrow down my college list.

Most sincerely,
eleanor

1 comment:

  1. yeah
    i go to school in texas
    win for me
    fingers crossed i wont get shot

    this scares the hell outta me

    ReplyDelete