Thursday, October 21, 2010

(partly) Legal

Eighteen years ago, at 3:13pm, I came into the world a week late.

8 lbs, 6 oz. 21 inches long.

I was a big baby.

How eighteen years passed so quickly is beyond my comprehension. I remember starting kindergarten and thinking that the 8th graders were the biggest people in the world. I remember being eight years old and always trying to be "cool."

I've wanted to be a vet.
I've wanted to be an elementary school teacher.
I've wanted to be on Broadway.

I couldn't care less now a days about being "cool", and my perception of 8th graders has definitely changed. I no longer want to be a veterinarian, nor an elementary school teacher, nor on Broadway.

Now I'm busy keeping up my sanity more than keeping up appearances. Now graduate students seem dauntingly old.
I'm considering becoming a drama therapist, a high school theater teacher, or an arts administrator.

But we'll see. Anything can happen! Eighteen years from now, I'll be 36 years old (AHHHHHHHHH). That seems ridiculous right now, but I'm sure I'll wake up one morning and think, "What the hell happened, and how did I jump from 18 to 36 so quickly?"

Will I be married? Have kids? How many kids?
Will I have a job? What will my career be?
Will I look young? Or will I be seriously graying?

I may dye my hair if it grays. Or not. Maybe I'll look good with silver hair. Hm.

I feel I've digressed drastically from the main intent of this post... well, I actually may not have had a main intent of this post... but if I were to have had a main intent it would have been this:

I turned 18 today!

Hazzah!

In the words of my friend, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you have a wonderful birthday and I hope you're excited about being 18 (though it means practically nothing until you go to college)."

Quite the kill-joy, there, buddy.
Just kidding :)

I included his message because I did nothing to fulfill my new abilities. I did not buy a lottery ticket. I did not buy anything off of an infomercial. I did not buy cigarettes. I am registered to vote, but I haven't voted yet. Quite uneventful... how boring of me!

And since I'm not 21, I can't legally drink.

My drivers license expired today, though. I should probably take care of that.

peace.
-eleanor

3 comments:

  1. Haha I like this. The last paragraph made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one. :)

    Oh, and I was a bigger baby than you! 9 pounds even, and I was born on my exact due date. Lawd. Was always destined to be a 5'8" monstrosity. Heh.

    ReplyDelete